Sunday, July 25, 2010

Faith Hill Concert - July 24, 2010

A few weeks ago I started looking at tickets to see Faith at the Pacific Amphitheater at the OC Fair. Even the cheapest seats were not so cheap so I decided I'd try winning them on the radio. Never happens, right? I listened all day to GO COUNTRY 105 and tried numerous times to be the right caller, then just before 5:00 I got through and WON!  Woohoo!

That Saturday afternoon my friend Bruce & I headed down a little early so we could hang out at the fair awhile before the concert. Good thing! Parking was crazy! We had some not-too-artery-clogging fair food and walked around the fair a bit before heading over to the amphitheater, enjoying chocolate covered strawberries and some toffee. :-)The concert was supposed to start at 8:00 with an opening act, Jennette McCurdy, but no Jennette. No announcement. Then at 8:40 Faith came out!  She looked beautiful and her voice was strong. (Photo from OC Register) I did mention to Bruce though, that she didn't seem to interact with the audience much. I mean, she didn't chit-chat between songs. She was very gracious greeting the audience at the beginning and end, but that's it. I also noticed she seemed to be having problems with her ear pieces & monitors. She pointed to them more than once, first giving a thumbs up gesture, asking for them to be turned up, then later gestured for them to turned down. And the stage manager (?) had to come out about 4-5 times. It must have been frustrating for her. She did 3 cover songs, and since the concert was kind of short, I would've preferred to hear more of her songs. I like Faith a lot, and she's always been very sweet & funny in interviews, so I'm going to chalk it up to "not her best night".  She did sing her hits like "Breathe" and "This Kiss" and I thought she sounded great. (Another photo from OC Register)I had a great time with Bruce and still enjoyed the concert. (Remember, FREE tickets!)  Never did find out what happened to Jennette, but I guess she was supposed to be from 8:00-8:40, which meant Faith came out on time. I sure wish I could've seen Faith & Tim when they toured together a few years ago! They have some beautiful duets, like the one below.

3 comments:

Judy S said...

Hi Beth --- great review & pix!!! 2 years ago I saw Martina McBride at the OC Fair then the following month saw Faith & Tim at the Honda Center. Tim was great, Faith was not. I thought it was because the venue was so large. This year I saw Martina at the OC Fair Thurs night and Faith Sat night. Martina was SPECTACULAR, Faith was, well...you know the answer to that. For me, no more Faith in concert, but Martina???? Next time she's around I'll catch her everywhere I can (she was in Rancho Mirage the Sat night that we saw Faith).
Have you ever seen Martina in concert?
Lucky you on the no traffic on the way home - I must've caught it because I hung out at the fair to pick up a couple things I saw Thurs night but didn't buy and to enjoy a Pink's hot dog :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Judy. As you can see, I stole the pics from the OC Register. :-) My own were terrible. Interesting what you said about seeing Faith & Tim together. I would LOVE to have seen the Soul to Soul tour. It's just funny that everyone had the same thoughts about the concert, but I hadn't read any others at the time I wrote it. Quite a few on the Ticketmaster review site. Good to know, too, about Martina. I've heard nothing but good things about her concerts!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.